Sunday, May 4, 2008

babies, babies, babies

Last night I worked the night shift as 1st on. We had two more babies born on my shift. Their births were so wonderful!! We have a visiting midwife here that's filling in for the next few days for the staff midwives that are typically on schedule...She's WONDERFUL! What a blessing in my last week here :-) She's totally hands off and completely allowed me to work with the clients in a way that allowed me to utilize my own practice style and incorporate the needs and desires of the families I was serving. A few of the other interns here that have never seen anything else but "Casa birth" were completely blown away by the hands off approach...As an observer though all you can do is sit there and watch, and so that's exactly what they did (and technically so did I)as these Mama's pushed out their babies without a skid mark on their perineum's! When the time came to cut the cord I was able to voice that I didn't want it cut yet and the staff midwife completely accepted my request. So we had delayed cord clamping for both babies...at least until the Placenta was delivered!! I think I personally needed to see birth untouched again as it so renewed my spirit!

I have seven days left here...I cant wait to be back home and see my kids! I miss them so much. I hope the weather is warm back home, it was snowing a bit the morning that I left. Hugs to you all and I'll post again soon!

Much Love,
Kim

3 comments:

LaNette said...

Differences ARE made, one birth at a time. Your observers will absorbe what they have seen and someday, utilize these techniques without ever thinking there was a different way.

Anonymous said...

YAY Kim, sounds wonderful. Cant wait till you get home.

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about you. Looks like your talk with Candace paid off. You're almost done....