Friday, May 9, 2008

A quick update

Okay, I'm seriously wiped out! I was 1st on last night and was blessed to have five babies born on my shift...Including one frank breech!!!! Talk about exciting :-) It was the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. Vaginal Breeches are a rarity here at Casa - Well, really their a rarity everywhere except the OR room these days. It's been over a year since Casa has done a breech birth. I feel so lucky to have witnessed it (a staff midwife stepped in to deliver that baby - Not me). It saddens me to think that this Mom would have been subjected to major abdominal surgery otherwise - The birth was so straight forward and seemed so normal. The baby came out with apgars of 6 & 9 and eagerly began nursing shortly thereafter...Not bad huh! I have to say he had the purplest little butt and toted a matching purple scrotum as well...He didn't seem to mind though :-)

I've been witness to the incredible phenomenon of what I like to call "labor synchronicity" -A few moms will come in shortly after each other in labor, all at different stages, effacement, dilation & station. Within an hour of each other they're laboring almost in sync with each other and deliver minutes apart - Such was the case last night. The breech was the last one - Indeed it was the icing on the cake for us birth junkies!

I will update gain soon when I can. Right now I'm only on three hours of sleep in two days...I cant wait to go home! Seven more days now (and for sure this time :-)

Hugs & Love,
Kim

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool Kim that must have been so neat. Seven had me going for awhile thinking she was gonna stay breech.

YAY for people still willing to do breech vaginal birth.

Kimberly said...

Yes, I think it's great that Texas allows midwives to do breech birth. Send me pixs of Seven...Cant wait ot see her!! Hope your doing well Alyssa, see you soon.

~Kim

cinquefoil said...

How cool is that!

At the ICAN of Kenosha meeting last October, we watched the Vaginal Breech Birth video - it showed 6 breech births at The Farm Midwifery Center in Tennessee. I want to have this as a topic for one of our meetings in Lake County too.

We had our first ICAN of Lake County meeting on April 30, and we had a great turnout! There were 11 of us all together - 3 leaders & 8 moms - and we watched The Business of Being Born.

I've been really busy lately, so this is my first comment on your blog. I've been keeping up with your progress though, and I'm thrilled to hear that you're learning a lot and surviving the process too ;)

Hang in there - you'll get through your last week!

Julie

jen said...

wow! so cool!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

Kimberly said...

Hi Julie, It's great hearing from you! I'm so thrilled to hear that your groups are having such a great turnout...Thats exciting! It's funny that we still have yet to meet but have been talking for years :-) We must cooridinate lunch together at some point in the near future here Julie!Thanks for your support.

~Kim

Kimberly said...

Thanks Jen, Happy Mama's day to you as well!