Wednesday, April 23, 2008

1st on tomorrow


The gig is up...As you've noticed in the picture the reality is that midwives really are witches. We have green faces and consult with our trusty magic 8 ball for insight.This is what Casa is all about folks...

So tomorrow evening I'll be first on...That means that I'm the head intern in charge for any births that come through that evening. Unfortunately the staff midwife that will oversee what I'm doing is known to be the most interventive midwife here at Casa. In all honesty I get along with her incredibly well and was picking her brain tonight and very passive aggressively pulling out how she feels about "gentle birth". I unfortunately didn't get very far with that conversation but at least I tried! Cord blood collection is mandatory immediately following all births here at Casa. Which means that the cord is immediately clamped and cut following birth. I suggested the idea of possibly delaying cord clamping and pulling the blood from a nice juicy vein in the Placenta and she said "it was of course possible" but didn't seem at all enthused by the idea. I'll see if I can get away with maybe five minutes of allowing the cord to pulsate before she notices. I must entertain myself somehow....sneaky little me :-)

Today I was off and sat out in the dry desert sun. Ya know, you can literally feel the moisture being sucked out of your skin here. I miss home ssssoooo much, I miss my kids, my Steve, my dog, my bed and my hula hoop...oh, how I miss hoop dancing(it's my new obsession) google it if you don't know what it is.

I love and miss you all and will update more tomorrow...

Love,
Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck Kim hope you get to catch lots of babies. Hope you get away with some delayed cord clamping and cutting.

only natural said...

I pray that you will not only get to delay cord cutting but that the spirit you bring into the birthing center will remain and bring about change for the women you encounter. You can and will make a differnece for the women you encounter.

jen said...

oooo, i can't wait to hear how things went today... sending good vibes and prayers! i'll hoop a little for you! :0)