Thursday, April 17, 2008

pack of hungry wolves

Casa has been sssllooooowwww. Me and the other interns here have literally been sitting around like a pack of hungry wolves waiting for a birth! I caught myself even going as far as stepping out in front to look over the bridge and see if there were any pregnant mamas in labor walking over to the center...Yep, it's pretty pathetic, I know. We had a long & somewhat grueling class today on vaginal exams and cervical assessment. Vaginal exams are done ROUTINELY here on ALL pregnant woman from 36wks on until delivery...I'm disturbed beyond belief. I need to remind myself daily that it's not homebirth though and these woman are not coming here for homebirth type care. I'm trying to remain open as much as possible. All I can say is that I'm so glad that I came here with a firm foundation in prenatal care prior to coming here and even more grateful for my training and experience in homebirth. I cant imagine only having this type of clinical experience and then going off and serving woman at home...OMG!

I trust in women and their ability to give birth with as little intervention as possible. We are not disasters waiting to happen. Babies need and deserve to be born into a loving & safe space where their consciousness is recognized and respected. These are core beliefs of mine. I'm choosing to stay open to what Im learing here and store it away in my brain...some info further back then others!

~Kim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay strong Kim. =) watch my video if you ever need some encouragement about why homebirth ROCKS. Miss you tons =)

LaNette said...

Be careful what you wish for.....you may just get it ALL! Did you know that the full moon is Sunday morning? I am thinking of you every day. Learn from everything and enjoy every lesson.
My Best -- LaNette

Kimberly said...

Thanks Alyssa & LaNette! Yes, I should watch what I wish for...I know these mamas are gonna bombard us all at once - Yikes! With the full moon being this weekend I wouldnt be suprised, stay tuned for my rants on how tired I am from all the births I've attended :-)

~Kim

Unknown said...

Kim-

They are just waiting till the full moon. Check you calendar.

At least that is what Mother Theresa says : )