Monday, April 14, 2008

What a day!

Oh my good god this is one of the most exhausting days I've had in a looonnnggg time!!! I spent all day - literally from 8am-7pm doing prenatal visits (aka "citas" here...means appointment), initial registrations, well woman care & newborn exams. After my shift was over I had the opportunity to do my first blood draw on a fellow intern. It was pretty exciting and I surprisingly wasn't nervous about doing it at all...of course my fellow intern didn't feel that way :-) It was easy as pie though. I also got a few other skills checked off today - Finger sticks, drawing up meds, Oxygen tank set up and a few others.

The mama's here are sssooo wonderful! I cant help but to wonder about how many Hispanic woman would be giving birth at home in IL if we had more bilingual midwives...It's an entire community of woman and families that have no resource for homebirth. I just may have to change that :-) Seriously, I highly doubt that only "well of white woman" are the only ones that desire peaceful, gentle and safe homebirth for their babies. The woman and families of the Pilson area had a homebirth resource once upon a time...the name of the program however is completely evading my mind at the moment (Lo Siento - Means I'm sorry). Perhaps by the end of this blog It'll come to me.

On another note I can pretty much guarantee I'll be a much slimmer me by the time I get back home. Food doesn't seem to make it very high on the list of necessities...sleep seems far more important. Screw weight watchers, dieting, whatever - Come to Casa and you can catch babies and lose weight all at the same time - What more can you ask for!

I should go and get some sleep while I can. If anyone goes into labor tonight I need to be there for the birth. I miss you all and will update again soon.

Buenos Noches,
Kim

4 comments:

jen said...

wow, kim, congrats on your first day! sounds exciting!!! :)

girl, you better not mess up your metabolism... make sure you EAT!!! you're in my thoughts and prayers, of course...i'm so glad you're blogging.

*muah*

Anonymous said...

Sounds awsome Kim. Bet it was easier to stick those women then it is to stick me ;^) lol.

jqmidwife said...

Alivio? Is that the program you were thinking of? They got a World Health Organization recognition because they were such an amazing, innovative program. I'm sad they're no longer here. I think you are absolutely right! Every woman deserves access to homebirth care from an excellent midwife. I hope there are some traditional parteras in the community that maybe we don't know yet.

Be well, Kim. Eat! Sleep! Embody the wellness that you expect from the mamas you care for. You deserve it too. :-)
Hugs,
Jacque :-)

Kimberly said...

Yes, Thank you Jacque...It was Alivio I was refering to.